Samsung Galaxy J2 Prime or otherwise known as Grand Prime is another one of Samsung’s mid-range Android phone. Despite being cost effective, the phone offers almost all the features that a high-end phone has to offer. It comes with a 5.0-inch display that has a screen resolution of 540 x 960 pixel. With its 8 Megapixel rear camera and 5 MP front camera, you will love capturing moments with it. You can do as much multi-tasking as you like because the phone is never going to hang due to its 1.5GB RAM. By default, the phone runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Although the phone has been on the market for quite sometime now, it wasn’t given much attention due to the fact that it is yet another mid-range Android phone. After months of release, the phone has finally managed to capture some attention, now you do have a way to root your phone and TWRP recovery for it. In this article, we are going to teach you how to install TWRP Recovery on your phone and how to root it. So, let’s get started!
This tutorial is for Galaxy J2 Prime with model numbers G532/GF/M, so we suggest that you do not try it on other mobile phones or any other variant of J2.
- It is important that you make a backup of your data, as installing a TWRP will delete all your previous data.
- You need to enable the USB debugging mode of your phone.
- You have to install the USB Drivers for your phone on your computer.
- Make sure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your Galaxy J2 Prime.
- You also need to enable the OEM unlocking on your phone.
- The USB cable that you will be using to connect your PC to your phone should be original.
- Download DM-verity and SuperSu.
- Download TWRP Recovery for your phone.
- Download Odin 3.11.1 on your PC,
Complete Instructions: Installing Custom Recovery
Step 1: Start with download the Odin on your computer and install it properly.
Step 2: Switch off your phone and turn it back on in the downloading mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Home button with the Power and the Volume Down button. The moment you see the downloading screen, you should leave the keys.
Step 3: Connect your Samsung Galaxy J2 Prime to your computer via USB Cable. One moment the connection is successful, you will see the ID: COM box in Odin turn blue.
You may also read: How to record a customized animated gif on Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+
Step 4: You need to select the TWRP Recovery.img.tar file and to do so, you first click on “AP” tab in Odin and then select the desired file.
Step 5: You need to ensure that the Auto-Reboot option is unchecked, whereas the F.Rest Time option is checked.
Step 6: To start the process, simply press the start button. It might take some time, but once you are done, disconnect your phone. Do not reboot it.
Rooting and Disabling Forced Encryption
- You need to enter the TWRP Recovery mode and to do so, you first switch off your phone completely and then turn it back on by pressing and holding the Power Key+ Home + Volume up button.
- To enable modification in the TWPR mode, you would have to swipe the finger right. This will also trigger the dm-verity you need to disable it immediately. If it remains enabled, you will not be able to boot or root your phone.
- Look for Wipe option, tap on it, then on Format Data and tap ‘Yes’ to format all the data. Doing this will disable the encryption.
- Copy the SuperSu.zip along with the dm-verity.zip file on your external memory card.
- To install the files, look for the SupperSu.zip file and flash it. Likewise, look for a dm-verity file and flash it as well.
- After you have flashed by the files, you need to reboot your phone and you are done.
You may also read: How to update AICP Android 7.1.2 Nougat Custom ROM to HTC One M8