Xiaomi phones are among the best Android phones that you will find on the market. Like any other Android, they tend to receive Over the Air update. We do agree that OTAs are the best and the safest way to update your phone. However, it might take ages as the update release is usually periodical. This can be troublesome depending on your current software condition. The good news is that OTA is not the only way to update your phone. You can install System Update on Xiaomi Phone manually as well.
Having the latest software ensure security and fixes bugs that were part of the previous version. However, the update does have its cons as well, nonetheless having the latest software on your phone boost experience and lets you avail all the latest features. With Xiaomi phones there are two ways to go about installing an update manually, first the Recovery Mode method and second, via Fastboot. In this article, we are going to tell you how to install System update on Xiaomi Phone Manually.
Install System Update on Xiaomi Phone Manually using Recovery Mode
Remember to wipe clean all the data in the Recovery Mode, if you are downgrading to an older version of ROM or you are updating to a discontinuous ROM. Below are the steps to manually install the update on your phone using the recovery mode.
- Download MIUI ROM on your computer. Go to the official page to download.
- After the download, rename the MIUI ROM file to update.zip.
- Connect your Phone to the computer via data cable.
- Now shift the file you downloaded in the first step onto your phone’s internal memory. Ensure that the file is placed directly onto the memory and not in any folder.
- Once this is done, enter the Recovery Mode on your phone. To enter the mode, you first turn your device off and then turn it back by pressing and holding the Power Button along with the volume button. Doing this will boot you directly into the Recovery Mode. Another way to enter the Recovery Mode is by launching the updater app and pressing the menu icon, the three dots present in the top-right corner. You will see the Reboot Recovery Mode option, simply select it to enter the mode.
NOTE: Once in Recovery Mode, you will have to use the Home button to make a selection and the volume keys to navigate.
- Once in the Recovery mode, you need to select “Install Update.zip” file but before that make language selection. Press the Power Button to confirm the selection.
- It will take a couple of minutes for the update to complete, then reboot your device to system one and enjoy the latest update on it.
You may also read: Install Lineage OS 15 Android 8.0 Oreo Custom Firmware ROM on Xiaomi Mi 6
Install System Update on Xiaomi Phone Manually using Fastboot Mode
You will need a computer for this method as well. In addition, you will have to unlock the bootloader of your phone.
- Start with downloading the MIUI ROM flashing tool.
- Choose the desired MIUI ROM from the list and download it. Ensure that the ROM file has a .tgz extension if it does not rename it to .tgz.
- Switch off your smartphone and then reboot it to enter the Fastboot mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume button along with the Power button.
- Use a data cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- The tool that you downloaded in the first step, you need to decompress it.
- Copy the path of the folder and paste the address into your computer.
- To install it on your PC double click on it.
- After the installation process is complete, open the MiFlash.exe file.
- Past the folder path of the ROM File that you copied in step 6.
- Refreshing the MiFlash by clicking on the yellow circled-out button. Doing this will automatically recognize your device.
- To flash the ROM you will have to click the red circle button.
- Wait for the process to complete, after that, you have successfully installed the latest update on your smartphone.
You may also read: How to Resolve Google Play Store Not Working Issue on Xiaomi